Question Hashing files

Jason Phang

Programming Experience
Beginner
I am currently working on a project that implements google drive rest api alongside asp.net. This project will perform like a basic data deduplication whereby duplicated files in the google drive will be detected and not allowed to be uploaded. Hence, in order to do this, I need to hash the files and if there is a identical hash value in the files, the file is sensed as a duplicate. But I have been looking around for tutorials and documentations, but I am sort of lost. How should I approach this problem if I want to hash the files and compare for identical hash values in a sort of like hash table. What is like the methods for this? I just need like a way on how to kickstart this problem.

I am coming from a computer forensics background. Back when i was in university, we learnt java structure, linked lists, arrays. Basically some data structure related to java. but nothing related to hash

So you learned a little Java, which isn't all that different, so dig in and post back if you get stuck. That link Skydiver posted looks like a pointer for a good reference. ;)

Back
Top Bottom