Having trouble with Chart control - sometimes it doesn't render

Mahonroy

Programming Experience
10+
Hello,
I am having troubles with the Chart control. I am using .net framework 4.5 (web forms application), and am using version 4.0 of the chart control. I can populate data just fine... the problem is that sometimes the chart images don't render, so it shows a broken image link instead. I put the chart controls inside an update panel, and added a "Refresh" button. Still the same behavior... sometimes it renders fine, sometimes it displays broken image links.... it seems completely random. But clicking the "Refresh" button always fixes the problem. Do you guys know what the problem is and how I can fix this properly? I don't want the user to have to click the "Refresh" button each time only after being displayed broken images. Part of me thinks that the image is not ready in time for when the browser decides to render the image... but I just don't know.

I have experimented with the web.config file, originally the key under "appsettings" was this:
C#:
<add key="ChartImageHandler" value="storage=file;timeout=20;dir=c:\TempImageFiles\;" />
and I changed it to this from a recommendation I found online:
C#:
<add key="ChartImageHandler" value="storage=memory;timeout=20;"/>
This didn't seem to help.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Hi Mohonroy,

The problem you are fecing might be related to session state and your web application configuration.

You may consider using (at least for your testing) a different chart control like Nevron chart or ChartFX, and explore any differences in the behavior.

Hope you find this helpful!
Regards,
Mitch

Hi Mohonroy,

The problem you are fecing might be related to session state and your web application configuration.

You may consider using (at least for your testing) a different chart control like Nevron chart or ChartFX, and explore any differences in the behavior.

Hope you find this helpful!
Regards,
Mitch

Hi Mitch, thanks for the reply!
Yeah from what I can tell the chart control is garbage. I've tried everything that I have come across on google and nothing seems to work. You would think the chart control would be a bit more user friendly, or at least tested before being released.
I am going to try and find a better chart control.

Hi Mohonroy,

I perfectly know what you are talking about, this was the reason I've decided to go for a 3rd party chart control myself. I'm working with the Nevron one and I'm happy with it, but I have read really good things about ChartFX too, so I would suggest you to give a try to both of them and see which one you like better.

P.S. Nevron also offer a free edition of their chart, so maybe you will find it satisfying for now if you don't need any advanced functionalities or 3D charting.

Regards,
Mitch!

Hi Mohonroy,

I perfectly know what you are talking about, this was the reason I've decided to go for a 3rd party chart control myself. I'm working with the Nevron one and I'm happy with it, but I have read really good things about ChartFX too, so I would suggest you to give a try to both of them and see which one you like better.

P.S. Nevron also offer a free edition of their chart, so maybe you will find it satisfying for now if you don't need any advanced functionalities or 3D charting.

Regards,
Mitch!

Thanks Mitch, I will definitely try it out!

Back
Top Bottom