Help with a program, I have the source etc

MoneyG

Programming Experience
Beginner
Basically I have a program what opens .spl's for images for a game and it's made in c#, some of the .spls open but most are causing this error below. I can upload the source if needed and willing to pay some cash if it can be fixed.
error.jpg

Source client - also has 4 images from the games i'm trying to use, 2 work (man000000.spl) & (00011100.spl) and 2 that cause the error (00011000.spl) & 00011101.spl

Cheers,

P

Let me make sure I understand. You are trying to change the images in a game. To do that, you took someone else's code -- code that you don't understand -- and are running into a problem where it crashes when trying to process one of those game files. Is that correct?

What game is this?

Did you check the EULA or the TOS of the game to make sure that you are even allowed to do this kind of manipulation of its data files? Most EULA or TOS for non-open source games will specifically have no reverse engineering and no modification clauses.

Saying that: "Well everyone else is doing it." doesn't really stand up well in a court of law.

Firstly, we don't need a shot of your entire screen for an error message that occupies 10% of it in the center. Whenever you post, please post all that is relevant and nothing that isn't.

Secondly, please don't ever post pictures of code or error messages. They are both text so post them as text, formatted appropriately. That way, we can read them easily and we can also copy and paste if needs be.

Thirdly, if you are trying find a programmer to do work for you then there is a forum dedicated to that on this site. The C# General forum is for you to get help with your own programming but, if that's what you want, we need to see the code relevant to the problem. The error message already tells you what the problem is and the stack trace shows you where it occurred so we can't really tell you more than that without seeing the specific code that threw the exception and the relevant debugging information.

Glanced at it real quick, and in MOSFileRenamer.SPL.GetFrame, the only List in there is ColourTable (FrmMain.cs, line 196):
C#:
if (Compressed == true)
{
    BM.SetPixel(iX, iY, CustomColor(ColourTable[FileBytes[FilePos]], Custom)); 
    FilePos += 1;
    UsedPix[iX, iY] = true;
}
else ...

Seems like it's looking for a color not in the preloaded palette (or you are passing it the wrong bytes).

Let me make sure I understand. You are trying to change the images in a game. To do that, you took someone else's code -- code that you don't understand -- and are running into a problem where it crashes when trying to process one of those game files. Is that correct?

What game is this?

Did you check the EULA or the TOS of the game to make sure that you are even allowed to do this kind of manipulation of its data files? Most EULA or TOS for non-open source games will specifically have no reverse engineering and no modification clauses.

Saying that: "Well everyone else is doing it." doesn't really stand up well in a court of law.

The guy who made it, I've known for around 12 years, I asked for him to send it to me this morning due to him not having time to finish it due to him going back to work(he was furloughed because of covid)

The game is The Myth of Soma - abandon-ware, it was owned by GameNetwork - some history here(Game Network - Wikipedia) it got shut down in 2009 and Pservers are still going just like Legend of Mir, Droiyan etc

I need it to work to preview images from the game to reskin/recolor etc, working on a bmp converter atm as well.

Don't be so quick to assume the worst,

Cheers anyway.

Glanced at it real quick, and in MOSFileRenamer.SPL.GetFrame, the only List in there is ColourTable (FrmMain.cs, line 196):
C#:
if (Compressed == true)
{
    BM.SetPixel(iX, iY, CustomColor(ColourTable[FileBytes[FilePos]], Custom));
    FilePos += 1;
    UsedPix[iX, iY] = true;
}
else ...

Seems like it's looking for a color not in the preloaded palette (or you are passing it the wrong bytes).

Thanks for the help, i'll take a look. Just got in from fishing with the family

Don't be so quick to assume the worst,
The problem is that a lot of people expect us to assume the best with little to no information to go on. If a full and clear explanation is provided, no assumptions are required.

Back
Top Bottom