Question I want to create a program that uses a homepage to get information ...

vegas1665

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hello, I am kinda new to c# and I want to create a program where I write an anime name in a textbox and then click a button which makes my program then show information about that anime like a description, I plan to do this by letting the program communicate with this site MyAnimeList.net - Anime and Manga Database and Community sadly I never worked with this form of programming, so I don't even know what I should search for to learn this sort of stuff I would appreciate any clear directions

You should first determine whether they provide an API, which means that you can communicate with a service and get data, rather than communicating with a site and getting HTML intended for display. If you're stuck with the latter then the technique is called "screen scraping", so you can search for information on that. It is a dirty, dirty technique and may even violate the terms of service of some web sites. It also requires you to write code specific to their HTML and one little change to their site can completely break your app. Proceed at your own peril.

thanks I gonna search for a site that offers a API to do what I wish todo, if i can't find any I will go for the "screen scraping" method thanks for naming this technique so I can research it :D

thanks I gonna search for a site that offers a API to do what I wish todo
You missed the ball on this one. The only people who can provide an API for this site is the people who owned the website you want to get data from. At a glance, there is no obvious public API they offer.

f i can't find any I will go for the "screen scraping" method

If you're going to go for the scraping method, you might consider looking up the html agility pack : Html Agility pack | Html Agility Pack

Back
Top Bottom