Question Is VS Code really better for ASP.NET Core Razor development?

Neal

Forum Admin
Staff member
Programming Experience
10+
I'm new to ASP.NET Core Razor and I'm building out a nopCommerce site while also reading a book on Razor pages. I typically work in Visual Studio 2022 Professional but I also have VS Code (new to me for a few weeks now) and JetBrains Rider I'm also exploring as I'm licensed to use it. The other day I went to debug code in a razor page in the line below and couldn't set a breakpoint unless I right-clicked in the code itself and then when I did hit the breakpoint I couldn't inspect the value on mouse hover to see if it was true or false, etc. Yet in VS Code I can set a breakpoint normally and the hover inspection does work. I'm a bit shocked that Visual Studio is behind VS Code in this regard and possibly a lot more. Now I'm wondering which IDE I should really be using. Line 2 is the one I was debugging.

Razor code example:
        </div>
        @if (Model.PictureModels.Count > 1 && Model.DefaultPictureZoomEnabled)
        {
            <div class="picture-thumbs">
                @foreach (var picture in Model.PictureModels)

I don't recall any specific problems putting breakpoints in markup when writing Blazor razor in VS 2022.. I haven't tried your exact setup

I spent the day using JetBrains Rider. I think I found my new IDE. I've had a license to it but stuck to Visual Studio with Resharper. Going to use Rider as my default going forward and see how things go.

Well, maybe not so fast. I'll stick with Rider for my current project but when I need to start bringing in extension products such as DevExpress that may present an issue.

Back
Top Bottom