Question Need help understanding the Asp.net core documentation

Kwinglion99

Programming Experience
1-3
I have been trying to understand the .net core for weeks now and it's being painful, i managed to actually build a website using razor pages and PostgreSQL Npgsql ado.net provider with help of the documentation and a lot of answers scrapping on the internet, but i really don't like this learning approach, i like to have straight guides and instruction on how and what to learn in order to learn something. which i find very dificult with the .netcore documentation.

If you already know ASP.NET MVC, it is not a huge leap to go to ASP.NET Core. If you are trying to learn from scratch, then yes, I can see how the learning curve can be steeper, but it can be flattened by various other learning resources @cjard mentioned above.

Also nothing in ASP.NET Core compels you to use Entity Framework Core. You could use any database. Why go up two learning curves at the same time, if you already know another database system.

You could perhaps take a look at Blazor. For a long time I really couldn't stand web development because I despised JavaScript and laying out UIs with CSS. At some point MS launched Blazor and, coupled with a library for nice controls, I found it the closest logical thing to desktop development I'd seen in years. For me it almost makes web dev delightful, and I've probably only written (pasted :) ) a hundred lines of JavaScript since starting with it 2 years ago

Tutorials will only teach you one way, maybe that's the best way for their situation, maybe that's not the best way for every situation. Software engineering is about making choices applicable to any situation and a lot of that is scrabbling round for answers on the internet, answers which only give a part of the puzzle, and putting them together.

You're probably better served by finding a community and asking questions, and an AI - StackOverflow isn't really what you need because it won't answer "how should I...?" - forums like this one are generally more interested in writing longer answers to help teach you something.. all we ask is that you have a clear question in mind; a goal you want to get to, and don't ask us to do your work for you

Last edited:
That's like learning a language by reading the dictionary

Read some tutorials, take a pluralshight course or ask ChatGPT?

yeah, I realized a few days ago, it's just i really enjoy to just have clear instructions on the documentation. but here i am trying to swim this messy pool!

If you already know ASP.NET MVC, it is not a huge leap to go to ASP.NET Core. If you are trying to learn from scratch, then yes, I can see how the learning curve can be steeper, but it can be flattened by various other learning resources @cjard mentioned above.

Also nothing in ASP.NET Core compels you to use Entity Framework Core. You could use any database. Why go up two learning curves at the same time, if you already know another database system.

I am actually learning it from the scratch. i come from a php, node.js and python background so Besides the web programming logic everything is almost new for me. but i think i am getting the grip over it, hopefully i will contribute to this forum the more i progress.

You could perhaps take a look at Blazor. For a long time I really couldn't stand web development because I despised JavaScript and laying out UIs with CSS. At some point MS launched Blazor and, coupled with a library for nice controls, I found it the closest logical thing to desktop development I'd seen in years. For me it almost makes web dev delightful, and I've probably only written (pasted :) ) a hundred lines of JavaScript since starting with it 2 years ago

Tutorials will only teach you one way, maybe that's the best way for their situation, maybe that's not the best way for every situation. Software engineering is about making choices applicable to any situation and a lot of that is scrabbling round for answers on the internet, answers which only give a part of the puzzle, and putting them together.

You're probably better served by finding a community and asking questions, and an AI - StackOverflow isn't really what you need because it won't answer "how should I...?" - forums like this one are generally more interested in writing longer answers to help teach you something.. all we ask is that you have a clear question in mind; a goal you want to get to, and don't ask us to do your work for you

my Plan is to end up with blazor and MAUI for the Client UI, i am just trying to follow the learning path.

Back
Top Bottom