Pin terminal on dual montitors when debugging

bondra

Programming Experience
Beginner
Is it somehow possible to pin the console window? I've two monitors and each time I debug using the "Step into" the terminal opens above the document . This forces me to move the terminal to my other monitor every time! Really disturbing and time consuming.

Edit: I noticed putting the Visual Studio on the other monitor keeps the terminal on the other monitor. I would like to swap it however. Is it possible?

Last edited:
What exactly do you mean by "terminal"? Are you talking about the console window that initially launches when you are debugging a Console application? If you are talking about the Output pane shown by Visual Studio, that seems to stay pinned to wherever I set it to (either free floating on another terminal, or docked as a pane in Visual Studio).

Is there a way to toggle the focus between the terminal and document tab?
Every time I debug I'm forced to use the mouse to click the document tab/terminal that are supposed to be active. Really disturbing and time consuming :(

Alt-Tab switch between two last active windows, for example switch between VS and the app being debugged.

Thanks but that not what I was looking for I'm afraid. I've tried to visualize it below. So when the Windows console closes I have to click the document in VS to regarding focus.

togl4.gif

Ok so I'm back here again since I can't stand the workflow which consumes too much time and energy.
I've tried to further describe the problem below:

1. I arrange windows like this:
Skärmklipp2.PNG

2. Next time I press CTRL+10 to run the debugger it opens like this:
Skärmklippe.PNG

Is there any solution to this? Can the built in terminal be used instead? Now it opens both when pressing CTRL+10. Prefered behavoir would be to only show it in the built in terminal.

Skärmklipp.PNG

Attachments

• 1610207225877.png
    1610207225877.png
    166.8 KB · Views: 17
If you had taken time to reply to my post #2, I could have helped you all the way back in December. But alas, you ignored my question.

Anyway, with the current version of VS, you cannot force the program to be run from within the developer terminal.

What you can do is tell the OS that you want to control where the console that is created to positioned: Click on the icon in the window chrome to bring up the system menu, and select the "Defaults" option:
Screenshot_1.png

Then when that comes up, select the "Layout" tab. Uncheck the button for "Let the system position window" and give it your preferred position:
Screenshot_2.png

Back
Top Bottom