Problems with latest Vs 2022 (17.4.1)

Chopperaddict

Programming Experience
10+
I recently upgraded to the latest VS2022 (17.4.1) and really wish I hadn't bothered.

I am constantly having "CSharpAddImportCodeFixProvider" come up with enable etc options when debugging

Throughout debugging, the system gets very unstable, with red squigglies everywhere in the source code after I make a change, despite F10 still working,.
The Error List retains errors that are not actually there, sometimes many of them, and then I click F10 and they disappear (sometimes)

Sometimes it even blocks all keystrokes when trying to edit the source during a debug session. I have also seen several other similar crashes applying to CSHARp.......... messages giving me problems.

Has anyone else seen this issue, or got a workaround, as it is driving me nuts ??

I was seeing the same thing last night. The worst bug for me was the caret jumping between where I was currently typing to some other place on the screen. The best we can do at this point is send feedback to Microsoft to report the issues.

I was seeing the same thing last night. The worst bug for me was the caret jumping between where I was currently typing to some other place on the screen. The best we can do at this point is send feedback to Microsoft to report the issues.
I have indeed seen this as well, and have reported all the problems I am seeing related to "CSharpAddImportCode...." errors in great detail, with screenshots etc to M$, but of course, you don't get any response from them, and I have rarely seen fixes for these reports appear in any reasonable time scale.

I was hoping someone might have a workaround that keeps this horror at bay.
My temporary solution that I found on Google is by writing a batch file containing the following script :

del "C:\Users\ianch\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\17.0_022455b0\ComponentModelCache" "Microsoft.VisualStudio.Default.*"

You have to have VS closed before doing this, and it rebuilds them on restarting.

Other options I have tried is deleting al the .bin and .obj files, but this often resets my settings which is a real pain in the proverbial.

I have indeed seen this as well, and have reported all the problems I am seeing related to "CSharpAddImportCode...." errors in great detail, with screenshots etc to M$, but of course, you don't get any response from them, and I have rarely seen fixes for these reports appear in any reasonable time scale.
I have received responses and gotten my issues fixed. The trick is writing good repro steps, providing expected results, and then showing what the actual results are. It's not the number of screenshots. It's the quality of the information that you provide MS. Imagine you are a beleaguered support engineer, or a product development engineer. Would you like to look at a bug that has everything already setup for you ready to reproduce, or a bug where you need to spend time trying to decipher what the user is trying to report?

I have received responses and gotten my issues fixed. The trick is writing good repro steps, providing expected results, and then showing what the actual results are. It's not the number of screenshots. It's the quality of the information that you provide MS. Imagine you are a beleaguered support engineer, or a product development engineer. Would you like to look at a bug that has everything already setup for you ready to reproduce, or a bug where you need to spend time trying to decipher what the user is trying to report?
Glad to hear you got results, and I have noted your comments regarding quality of feedback. I will try to create such a report with screen caps etc.

Recently rolled back from 17.4.0 to 17.3.6 because of an unrelated issue (that rolling back didn't fix actually - the nuget search results start off scrolled down by one item, hiding the most popular result, doh) - thanks for the heads up, I think I'll hold off on upgrading

BTW, you can go into the VS Installer and choose "roll back to previous version" - it might help

Last edited:
17.4.2 feels a little less flakey, but it still seems to have issues about delayed error messages, and keyboard focus stealing. (I've not yet sent in any bug reports, because I can't be bothered right now to setup a repro case. I need to get my work done first. I don't need to be doing the job that Microsoft test engineers should be doing.)

Back
Top Bottom