Refactoring Books For Focused Programming?

NoUserHere

Programming Experience
10+
Has anyone read this yet? Refactoring if so, is it any good?

I am looking for a book on refactoring. Specifically one which addresses how to stay focused and addresses the issues of concentration loss while refactoring. If anyone has further suggestions on other books which have helped you, I'd love to hear what they are as I am looking to upgrade my library with a collection of some decent new books for my book shelf.

The reason why I had recommend that book for refactoring (other than it being the groundbreaker), is that he makes the operations of refactoring so "mechanical" because he suggests doing only one type of refactoring at a time for any section of code, and then immediately running unit tests (, and then committing to source control on success). It's not like the "refactoring" that people tend to put into the sprint schedule, which inadvertently turns out to actually be "redesigning and rearchitecting". Yes, the refactoring that Fowler advocates is a form of redesigning, but they are usually tactical changes, not strategic changes. Yes there places where he does recommend some design patterns which would require strategic changes, but sets things up so that mechanical changes get you there safely and efficiently.

Back
Top Bottom