Answered Returning an IEnumerable of type custom data contract from added Service reference not being serialized

kauto

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi,

I am relatively new to C# - I am highly experienced with X++ in Dynamics AX.

I created an AIF service inside AX which returns a list of data contract values. The data contract is structured with 2 string parameters. The DataContract attribute and DataMember attributes are assigned.

I created a console application and I am able to easily return the values however I am trying to create a web service wrapper which will consume this AX service and return the data contract values out to a third party application.

My issue is that on the web service I am not able to return the data contract values I get the error message system.NotSupportedException: Cannot serialize interface System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1 *Name of my data contract value*

I need some direction on what to do, how do I go about taking the IEnumerable list of data contract values inside my web service to allow these to be output correctly as a list of data contracts comprising of 2 string values?

Thank you kindly

Have to tried returning a List<T> instead of an IEnumerable<T>?

Wrap the the data. If you have a lot of these, Automapper will be your friend.

C#:
class MyContainmentField
{
    public string LeftReactorCore { get; set; }
    public string RightReactorCore { get; set; }
}
:
var list = new List<MyContainmentField>();
:
return list;

Thanks for this, I am beginning to understand.

Here is my current code after your changes:

C#:
public class WebService1 : System.Web.Services.WebService

{   

[WebMethod]

public List<deliveryNoteInfo> getDeliveryNoteData(

string      company,

string      lorryId,

DateTime    deliveryDate

)

{

// define variables

PackingSlipServiceReference.BM_PODRequestContract appRequest = new PackingSlipServiceReference.BM_PODRequestContract();

PackingSlipServiceReference.BM_PackingSlipServiceClient packSlipService = new PackingSlipServiceReference.BM_PackingSlipServiceClient();

IEnumerable<PackingSlipServiceReference.BM_PODResponseContract> deliveryNoteList = new List<PackingSlipServiceReference.BM_PODResponseContract>();

PackingSlipServiceReference.CallContext context = new PackingSlipServiceReference.CallContext();

PackingSlipServiceReference.BM_PODResponseContract deliveryNoteData = new PackingSlipServiceReference.BM_PODResponseContract();

List<deliveryNoteInfo> packSlipList = new List<deliveryNoteInfo>();

deliveryNoteInfo    delInfo;

// set parameter values

appRequest.parmLorryId = lorryId;

appRequest.parmDeliveryDate = deliveryDate;

context.Company = company;

deliveryNoteList = packSlipService.getDeliveryNotes(context, appRequest);   

// send these to service and get result

var enumerator = deliveryNoteList.GetEnumerator();

while (enumerator.MoveNext())

{

deliveryNoteData = enumerator.Current;

delInfo = new deliveryNoteInfo();

delInfo.packingSlipId = deliveryNoteData.parmPackingSlipId;

delInfo.deliveryName = deliveryNoteData.parmDeliveryName;

packSlipList.Add(delInfo);

}

// return list of delivery note data contracts

return packSlipList;

}

class deliveryNoteInfo

{

public string packingSlipId { get; set; }

public string deliveryName { get; set; }

}

}

I am getting the following error:

Error 1 Inconsistent accessibility: return type 'System.Collections.Generic.List<PackingSlipService.WebService1.deliveryNoteInfo>' is less accessible than method 'PackingSlipService.WebService1.getDeliveryNoteData(string, string, System.DateTime)'

Am I missing something above?

Last edited:
Strike that, I have made the class deliveryNoteInfo PUBLIC and this has resolved the error.

When I run the test for the service, it runs but returns me the following value:

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
<ArrayOfDeliveryNoteInfo xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns="http://TESTPOD.org/"/>

I don't get the data values returned in the Array, is this normal? Do I have to manipulate this list of data in my calling program?

Hi,

I think the issue is simply down to my date parameter formatting, on the debug it looks like when I enter the date 01\05\2020 to signify the 1st May in UK date format, the service is sending the date in US format so 05\01\2020 - is there something I need to do to ensure it is in UK format for entry?

Thanks again I am basically done now!

Your date format is obviously wrong. You must have it set as : MM/dd/yyyy

Change it to :
your_datetime_variable.ToString("dd/MM/yyyy");

Back
Top Bottom