Right version of SQLite for Visual Studio 2010?

doni49

Programming Experience
10+
First -- I DID search before posting. But after doing so, I downloaded what I thought was the right file to be able to use SQLite. All I get is errors that it's not the right version of SQLite.

So where can I get the right download?

I've got Visual Studio Express C# on Win7.

TIA!

Here's a link to the tutorial that I tried to use:

Using SQLite With C# - C# Tutorials | Dream.In.Code

Get the appropriate version of SQLite for your version of .NET here:

System.Data.SQLite: System.Data.SQLite Download Page

Thanks for the reply but I tried that link too. When I attempt to add it as a reference, System.Data.SQLite is NOT listed. I even rebooted after installing it. The only thing I can think of is that the link says it's for Visual C++. But I've got Visual C#.

SQLiteInstall.png

NoSQLite.png

I would guess that you're not seeing it because of that "Filter to: .NET Framework 4 Client Profile". Can you Browse to it? Can you temporarily change your target Framework to 4.0 instead of 4.0 Client Profile and then see it?

I just found something in the SQLite Readme.

Visual Studio design-time Support, works with all versions of Visual Studio 2005/2008/2010/2012. You can add a SQLite database to the Servers list, design queries with the Query Designer, drag-and-drop tables onto a Typed DataSet, etc.
Due to Visual Studio licensing restrictions, the Express Editions can no longer be supported.

First it says that it works with "all versions of Visual Studio 2005/2008/2010/2012" but then it says it doesn't support the Express Editions. Does that include the express versions of VS2010 even though it says "all versions" including 2010?

Assuming that IS what it means, is there some way to build it myself? Meaning is it just the pre-built version that doesn't work?

P.S. I WAS trying to use VS2010 with VB.net but then I had read something about it not working with SQLite due to Come kind of licensing restriction. But I *THOUGHT* I had read that the C# version worked fine which is why I've been trying it over here.

First it says that it works with "all versions of Visual Studio 2005/2008/2010/2012" but then it says it doesn't support the Express Editions. Does that include the express versions of VS2010 even though it says "all versions" including 2010?

It's important to distinguish between a version and an edition. The versions are 2005, 2008, etc. Each version has its own Express editions. Other editions include Professional, Premium and Ultimate. I think that it might have changed in the 2012 or 2013 version but originally the Express edition didn't support add-ins at all in any version. You can still connect an application to a SQLite database in a project in an Express edition but the VS tools to manage databases are only supported in editions other than Express. That's the same for all manner of IDE add-ins.

It's important to distinguish between a version and an edition. The versions are 2005, 2008, etc. Each version has its own Express editions. Other editions include Professional, Premium and Ultimate. I think that it might have changed in the 2012 or 2013 version but originally the Express edition didn't support add-ins at all in any version. You can still connect an application to a SQLite database in a project in an Express edition but the VS tools to manage databases are only supported in editions other than Express. That's the same for all manner of IDE add-ins.

Ok. I could live with that -- *if* I could get it to run. I'm wanting my app to create a local DB file (as opposed to a server/client relationship). I want my app to be able to create a new db file on the fly, add tables to it & retrieve data from it.

I've never actually used SQLite but, from what I understand, you simply reference the ADO.NET provider, create the appropriate derived DbConnection and then you can do as you say. I've always intended to give it a go myself so maybe I'll do that and report my findings. I can't do it now but I should be able to get back to you in the next 24 hours.

Thanks for the generous offer. But I've continued to research this on my own and I came across a few items that seem like they'll make it so that I don't even need to use a DB API of any sort.

I don't want an external app to be able to access the DB file that my app generates. Once I got it working, I had intended to have it use a password that ONLY my app would have.

I've read documentation on using LINQ to search a List of my custom objects much like I'd do with a DB. I've also read documentation about using SERIALIZATION to write my custom objects to an external binary file and read it back in to my app.

I'm still having some difficulty wrapping my mind around it all but that's a different post.

Back
Top Bottom