Question Smarter way to deal with multiple buttons?

ConsKa

Programming Experience
Beginner
So after asking my last question on here, I managed to remove over a 1,000 lines of code....which was pretty impressive.

So thought I would ask this question to see if there was a smarter way to see if I could reduce my code further.

My form has 24 buttons. Currently, each button_click event has a separate entry and code - some of it quite simplistic:

C#:
private void sd1but_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {
            sdNobox.Text = HoldSD1.Text;
            hcodbox.Text = HoldCode1.Text;
            projtbox.Text = HoldProj1.Text;
            descbox.Text = desctbox1.Text;
        }

That just recalls the text back to where I need it for the program to then manipulate that data on a different button press.

Not too problematic, but the next set of buttons has this code:

C#:
private void resbut1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {
            string data = HoldSD1.Text + "," + HoldCode1.Text + "," + HoldProj1.Text + "," + HoldTime1.Text + "," + desctbox1.Text;
            string[] Lines = File.ReadAllLines("../../../dataset1.txt");
            File.Delete("../../../dataset1.txt");// Deleting the file
            using (StreamWriter sw = File.AppendText("../../../dataset1.txt"))
            {
                foreach (string line in Lines)
                {
                    if (line.IndexOf(data) >= 0)
                    {
                        continue;
                    }
                    else
                    {
                        sw.WriteLine(line);
                    }
                }
            }
            HoldSD1.Text = "";
            HoldCode1.Text = "";
            HoldProj1.Text = "";
            HoldTime1.Text = "";
            desctbox1.Text = "";
        }

This code essentially removes the line of text from a txt file, so that when I reload the program, it reads from that txt file and only reloads those items that have not been removed - I have another txt file that contains all entries for later evaluation.

There are 12 of each button, each ending with 1 to 12.

This all works, but I was wondering if there was a cleverer way of dealing with multiple buttons like this to see if I could reduce the code I am creating? I can create and add the buttons to Panels if that is helpful, but not sure that it is?

Happy to go research, but have no idea what I would be looking for at the moment.

Off the top off my head grouping controls into user controls sounds like a better idea. So you'll just have 12 user controls, and just write the button handler once for each of the 2 buttons that go into the user control instead of 24 button handlers.

Otherwise, use helper methods that take structs/classes that are simple DTOs (data transfer objects). Then create 12 instances of these DTOs. In your 24 button handlers you just pass in the appropriate DTO.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom