Answered Suppress Messages/Quiet Mode using Word.Interop? Cannot Open Normal.dotm Steals Focus

mrgr8avill

Programming Experience
10+
Thanks for taking the time to read this. I'm developing a solution to automate specific mail merge functions in Word and everything works great except as the merge functions are operating, I keep getting a "Word cannot open...Normal.dotm" error message generated from Word. This does not affect operations, but it does steal focus - which prevents me (and the potential end user) from using the computer in any meaningful way when the operations are taking place. Since the operations take up to 30 minutes at a time to run, this irritating message effectively holds the computer hostage while my program is running.

Is there anyone familiar with this type of error and how maybe to suppress it? I apologize if this it OT as it might be a Word setting or something rather than anything which can be accomplished programatically but I figured I'd try in this general discussion forum.

Thanks again for your time and in advance for any information you can provide.

I'm using platform 4 against Office (Word) 14 interop in a forms project, by the way. Much obliged!

Last edited:
Did you try Application.DisplayAlerts Property ?

Did you try Application.DisplayAlerts Property ?

Nosir - and if I had, I wouldn't have had to waste your time. Works like a charm and I thank you VERY MUCH for your time & assistance! Gold star and well wishes for you to win the lottery, enjoy a concubine of supermodels, get hired as CEO of a multi-national conglomerate for one day with an 8-figure golden parachute, etc.... =)

Back
Top Bottom