Answered Thread Lock - Db timeout

etl2016

Programming Experience
3-5
hi,

I have spun nearly forty threads in my application, all threads accessing the DB through Thread Lock feature. Each thread is processing an estimated hundred thousand rows. I am getting DB timeout errors. I have used connection pool mechanism. I want to take a closer look and identify one of the three possible reasons.

One, the DB is not efficient enough to handle calls within a given thread (because, thread lock is already in use). If so, its connection features (or similar) need an upgrade. The connection is getting timed out in 5000ms.

Two, the thread lock is not implemented correctly.

Three, connectionpool is not implemented correctly. How do I programmatically diagnose the actual reason to pin-point the root cause?

thank you

Without seeing your code, it is really kind of hard to comment about how your databases are interacting with thread locks.

Please tell me you didn't write code as:
C#:
using (var connection = new SqlConnection( ... ))
{
    connection.Open();
    lock (lockObject)
    {
        // do database operation here...
    }
}
With such a code structure above, you are holding a connection open while waiting for the thread lock to clear.

I am wondering why you would even need a thread lock. (Well implemented) databases display ACID behavior. Is there some kind of memory data structure that you are trying to keep consistent with the database and so you need the thread locking to make your memory representation also have ACID behavior?

thank you Skydiver

The timeout is related to this : Are you getting network or CPU bound?

The core issue looks like is around ThreadPooling / IOCP / qs

The lock I have implemented is as follows, which is not able to handle thread-theft and connection timeout scenarios: I have spun around hundred threads

C#:
static readonly object UpdateLock = new object ();
public static void UpdateDBUtility (some parameters)
{
    lock (UpdateLock)
   {
        update  the database;
   }
}

Last edited by a moderator:
The link you have above is with regards to Redis. You opened this question saying that you are using SQL. Are you using Redis as a front end cache for SQL?

You snippet of code above still doesn't show at which point in time you grab a connection. Do you open and use the connection within the lock? Or do you do it the wrong way like I was worried about in my first reply?

I have spun around hundred threads
And do you have the number of cores to support this? A good rule of thumb is about 2-4 threads per core.

"...Are you using Redis as a front end cache for SQL?... " No. It is just used to do lookup to transform a particular column in the input. "... Do you open and use the connection within the lock ...." Connection is being opened only once, prior to Threading, and is being re-used in all child threads. Redis offers a mechanism called Multiplexing. It is implemented as in : Basic Usage

"..... A good rule of thumb is about 2-4 threads per core ....." thank you. I have a setup with four cores. So, will reduce my threads from hundred to ten'sh.

thanks

Yes, that maybe true for Redis, but for the SQL connections, you should not open once and share among all the threads. For SQL connections, you need to instantiate and use it within the same thread.

Back
Top Bottom