Translations from XML files rather than baked into resx files?

Rhodan

Programming Experience
10+
Just started getting into adding different languages for an app, just en-US and fr-CA so far but I'm already realizing that I really want the words/phrases in a text file so changes and corrections can be made without having to re-compile. Should I just dump the Globalization string handling and load the appropriate strings into a list a run time or is there a pre-built way to do this?

jmcilhinney

C# Forum Moderator
Staff member
Programming Experience
10+
Are you saying that you want to be able to make changes in-place or just that you don't want to have to recompile the EXE? If it's the former then I think that assemblies are probably used to specifically avoid that, because in-place changes means more possibility of mistakes. If it's the latter then there's no need to change because each language/culture would have its own satellite assembly so you can easily just replace one DLL without touching the EXE.

Rhodan

Programming Experience
10+
I didn't realize each resx file was compiled into a separate dll, I thought they were rolled into the program binary. Well that solves that problem.

Now I just have to figure out how to get inno installer to include them. Should be pretty simple.

thanks!

Top Bottom