Question Video game launcher

Cat2000

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hello,

I'm a very beginner in Visual Studio and C# . I would like to make a launcher for a video game. To do this I think to make a form in Visual Studio to use as a starting point (but perhaps another method can be used). The idea is to launch a video file in fullscreen after launching the program executable, without playback controls and not in loop. After that the video (with audio) is finished I need to launch the exe of a game. Finally, after that the game is launched, the launcher must close. So, I need to run three tasks one by one, and of course the exit function must be hide, because the video game is starting. I don't know if the size of the form is important and how to embed a fullscreen player for a video using c#, but I think that is possible. It doesn't need to see the form when the launcher starts, of course.
Could someone write me step by step the code to apply to the form or write me an alternative method?

Thank you in advance and best regards.

Usually, the reason why modern video games have a video playing when you launch the game is because it takes so long for modern games to be loaded and warmed up prior to the UI being usable. So while the video is playing, the game is actually getting initialized. Your plan of playing the video, and then launching the game after the video has been presented seems to be counter intuitive because after the video plays, now the user will be stuck with an unusable UI until the game actually starts. So unless you know that your game will load and start quickly, you should plan on loading the game while the video is still playing.

Also why do you need a game launcher separate from the actual game?

Thanks for the reply. I would like to make a game with a software to make shoot em up purchased on Steam, it's simple to use and the game launches very quickly. The problem is that the intro is not much customizable, so I would like to make an intro video that launches the game. If there is a simple method, please indicate to me.

A batch file or PowerShell script should be enough assuming that the media player has commandline parameters to tell it to not show playback controls and run full screen. Just have the command to start the game right after the command to play the video. No C# programming needed.

Back
Top Bottom