Resolved Move File Into Program (for Auto-Update)

melihxrist

Programming Experience
3-5
Hello forum members, I'm developing a launcher for a game. I have completed everything, the required version control system, the download system of the new file that will change, the process of extracting this file after downloading, etc. But I only have one problem left. The game's files are also available in a program called "data.saf". So, for example, to change an image file in the game, it is necessary to find the same file in data.saf and change it. But I have tried many methods(File.Move etc.) for this and searched and found nothing. How can I move the downloaded update files to this "data.saf" and replace the files in it from there?

As far as I know , there is no program called "data.saf". Most Windows executables will have a .EXE or .COM file extension.

Did you mean "data file" rather than "program"?

Anyway, you'll need to contact the developers of the game to find out what the file format is for "data.saf", and the proper way to manipulate it's contents. This is not really a C# or WinForms question, but rather a data manipulation question that is orthogonal to the language or UI framework being used.

As far as I know , there is no program called "data.saf". Most Windows executables will have a .EXE or .COM file extension.

Did you mean "data file" rather than "program"?

Anyway, you'll need to contact the developers of the game to find out what the file format is for "data.saf", and the proper way to manipulate it's contents. This is not really a C# or WinForms question, but rather a data manipulation question that is orthogonal to the language or UI framework being used.

yes it would be appropriate to say a data file. This game also has an updater that is normally available. but it's written in c++ so i don't understand. If there is a method for the .exe about the subject I said, can you tell me maybe I can adapt it to this too.

No there is not a method built into .NET. You will have to write code to do it, or use someone else's code if they have written a library.

Speaking of contacting the developers, did you get permission from the developers or the game publisher to redistribute their game binaries and assets? Even if Shaiya's original company has shutdown, the companies that bought the IP now owns the rights and then would have a say in whether the game can be redistributed the way you are doing it or not.

No there is not a method built into .NET. You will have to write code to do it, or use someone else's code if they have written a library.

Speaking of contacting the developers, did you get permission from the developers or the game publisher to redistribute their game binaries and assets? Even if Shaiya's original company has shutdown, the companies that bought the IP now owns the rights and then would have a say in whether the game can be redistributed the way you are doing it or not.

Shaiya is an open mmorpg style game. that is, it has its original company, but there are dozens of game servers apart from it. other servers can be opened and developed. So far there has been no trouble, I just want to make an updater system independent of the original. I want to set up an update system with a visually much more fantastic and interesting theme. This is the last problem left. If I can generate the code to integrate the files in data.saf everything will be fine.

Presumably that file is a proprietary data file format, so you would have to understand the format in order to understand how to read it and overwrite it. If what you're doing is common then there is probably information about the file format online, otherwise you will have to work it out for yourself by reverse-engineering it. C# knows nothing about the file other than that it is bytes. It's up to you to give meaning to those bytes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom