Question Visual Studio debugger keeps crashing

JustSomeSchmoe

Programming Experience
10+
Hey all, I have a decent relatively new laptop with a Ryzen 5/20GB ram/M.2 SSD but the project I am working on has between 800-1600 .cs files that compile into a single dll(between 250,000/1,000,000 lines of code, depending on the options I select). My debugger keeps reporting an error but it wont tell me where the error is or details about it. If I close visual studio and reopen it, it immediately pops up with the exact location of the bug. Have any of you experienced this problem and if so how did you fix it? Can I just throw more hardware at it or is it in an issue with how my project is structured? I have most of the options for intellisense turned off and if I try to run jetbrains resharper, visual studio chokes and dies.

This is Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2022 (64-bit)
Version 17.0.4 running on fully updated Windows 11.

Thanks!

You say that it reports an error. What is the error that it is reporting?

What happens if you uninstall resharper?

I've not used Resharper in years. Back then it was either installed and running, or uninstalled. I don't recall installed, but disabled. I'll take your word for it that it's disabled and not doing anything while in a disabled state.

What happens if you build your project in one of the VS2020 command line shells: devenv.exe yourSolution.sln /build ?

Any which way, if you have a consistent repo, I suggest hitting the Help.Feedback menu item and send a bug report to Microsoft.

Aw, that sounds like one hefty project. I don't know if VS Community has any restrictions, but perhaps a Pro version would be better equipped to handle this ? Just thinking out loud...

Yes, I compared Pro that you mentioned.

Did the project use to build without issues in VS2019? If so then it is a regression in VS2022. One of the goals of VS2022 was to have better support and performance for large projects. Beyond dining the switch to 64-bit, Microsoft also changed some of the code that loads and processes projects as I recall reading. This is why I was recommending opening a support case via the Help.Send Feedback to show that some kind of bug may have been introduced.

Back
Top Bottom