Resolved VS Reporting Tools

LabProARW

Programming Experience
1-3
I'm doing my first database application using C# with VS2019. It is dead in the water due to problems with getting reports to work. On a form where I want a report to appear in the Toolbox and General subgroup there are are no report items listed. I right click and select 'Choose Toolbox Items' , and selected the .NET Framework Components, as a tutorial showed. As I follow the tutorial and look down the list of components there are none for reporting. I have tried at the top menu bar 'Extensions', 'Visual Studio Marketplace', 'Tools', 'Reporting' to see what I supposedly already have. I have a green check mark beside 'Microsoft Reporting Services Projects' and 'Microsoft RDLC Report Designer'. At the moment I have a MS Access backend file to mine and create reports from. Nothing that I have tried works - and my use of VS2019 is suspended until this lack of being able to generate a report is fixed. At one point early in trying to figure this out I did have a 'Report Viewer' tool.. but have lost that showing in the Toolbox. I cannot find it now, but even when I could drag and drop the Report Viewer object onto my report form, it was only a white square which did not do or allow anything to happen. The tutorials that I've seen showed that once the 'Report Viewer' control was dropped on a form, that inside of it there was a navigation bar of sorts. Mine never showed this.

I would really appreciate some constructive and kind direction on how to get this project moving again by detailing how to get the reporting to work.

Thank you for any help!

The ReportViewer control is no longer in the Toolbox by default. You need to add it to your project as a NuGet package. I believe that this is the one you need.

Solution
The ReportViewer control is no longer in the Toolbox by default. You need to add it to your project as a NuGet package. I believe that this is the one you need.
Thank you for pointing me to this. I had tried several times to add the ReportViewer through "managing extensions" through the Visual Studio Marketplace . It seemed to work each time -- except for ReportViewer never showed up in my list of tools to choose from. By uninstalling what was showing up in Marketplace as installed... and re-approaching this from 'Tools' -> 'Nuget Package Manager', and using 'Browse to the location of the correct .dll it finally worked. When you drew my attention to NuGet and I Googled the step by step for installing, everything worked perfectly.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom