Question What font do you use in Visual Studio?

Neal

Forum Admin
Staff member
Programming Experience
10+
I can't believe how hard this is for me but I struggle with what font to use in Visual Studio (2022). What font do you like the most?

#1 Hack
#2 Bitstream Vera Sans Mono
#3 Cascadia Code Mono

I have to admit that Cascadia Code is slowly growing on me to bump it up to #2. I've been using Cascadia Code a lot in my PowerShell consoles, as well as Visual Studio Code.

I feel that Cascadia Code shines when the pixel height is more than 12 or 14 pixels. For screens with smaller vertical space (and forced to be even smaller when they taskbar has to be at the bottom), Hack seems to do better.

I'm using Cascadia Code Light at the moment, letting it settle for a bit.

I quickly went back to Consolas. Default Cascadia Mono looks so big and bold in my opinion. It did improve after I changed 'Text formatting method' to Display in Text Editor>Advanced, but still I like the VS 2019 font better.

I did notice the Cascadia font changes a != to an equal sign with a diagonal through it. Looks like some programmer text turned into mathematician type text.

Good to know, I may go to the "mono" version to not have the ligatures blocking real code.

Good to know, I may go to the "mono" version to not have the ligatures blocking real code.
It is just appearance, still the same characters and doesn't "block code".

The ligature from Cascacadia Code that always catches my eye makes me slow down my reading is where "www" is rendered to look like a crown.
Screenshot_1.png

(Sorry about the text aliasing, I set Windows Terminal to use ClearType anti-aliasing instead of grayscale anti-aliasing. It looks great on my screen within the console, but I can see how bad it looks pasted here into the forum.)

I like Cascadia Code a lot, it's extremely well readable even though some chars (e.g. the = sign) are a little blurred. However these super-cutesy tricks like replacing !+ by the inequality sign, and the ligature on www, make me almost want to give up on it. I thought at first it was Visual Studio doing this, and spent time in vain to find a setting for it. Damn I just hate software getting wise on me for no good reason other than that some engineer thought it was prettier like that 😠
I wonder why a font is allowed to so such tricks in the first place. Isn't a font meant to just visualize what you typed ?

Damn I just hate software getting wise on me for no good reason other than that some engineer thought it was prettier like that 😠
Then I assume the Microsoft Terminal feature to look like the classic green monochrome monitor complete with raster line gaps was over the top. :)

Papyrus all the time... :)

That way I can say it was some old code that I found.

Back
Top Bottom