What project are you working on now???

NoUserHere

Programming Experience
10+
A topic just for fun, and for everyone to join in. We can keep it updated daily and discuss what types of projects we are working on. (No code allowed).

You can rant about your project, your employer (no names), and their infuriating implementation concepts they insist you use.
You can ask for tips, suggestions, encouragement, suggested psychiatric medication (joke) to help you through your most horrible endeavors AKA complex tasks.
You can explain your project in as much or as little detail as you want with as much sarcasm as you want. Careful here, I am Irish, and we are known for our sardonic remarks. :LOL:

The golden rule since this is a discussion topic just for fun and banter. You must never post code.

I'll go first.
  • I am working on a range of projects. A notification library, for displaying toast like notifications because the one Microsoft designed is terribly complex.
  • I am also working on a classified project for a high value employer with a known global reputation. That's as much as my NDA will allow me to say on that.
  • I am also working on a Unity3d based driving game. Its a personal project where the world is self replicating and changes paths as you navigate through it, (except the path location you traveled from), and it also replicates new scenery, cities and way points. So your path and journey is always different on each trip. It will be used with Oculus VR at a later stage.
  • I am also making a business management application, which manages, customers, orders, deliveries, and invoices etc.
  • I am also making a directX based application which I care not to discuss because its for a private customer.
(Banter implied) On my top secret government projects list. I have been employed by the CIA through a black budget program to create a covert application which will hack all 5G towers, and take control of the minds of society and I can submit messages through the 5G towers and target specific individuals. If any members of society are protecting their heads with tinfoil hats, I have been authorized to enable my application to hijack the transmission sequence in the 5G towers; enabling them to emit Ionizing radiation instead of non ionization to fry the population of the world and radiate them. *Inserts Mr. Burns Laugh here*.

"Now" as in this year so far... including until today, I have mostly been reworking old projects, personal productivity tools I use at home and at work, and have made lots of improvements in that process. Also created a new Office addin that really cleaned up my ever growing global macro list (I work a lot with MS Office programs). Right now I don't know what to do, looking forward to waters warming up to start seasons outdoor swimming :)

1. (in progress) - Migrating .NET Framework ASP.NET Web API to ASP.NET Core Web API due to Apple changing push notification requirements which only asp.net core can handle (http/2). With that is also migrating EF6 to EFCore and moving several projects off of .NET Framework to .NET Core / Standard. So far it's been amazing, super impressed with .NET Core. Very well thought out. I'm typically late to the game for moving forward, probably still am, but at least I'm getting there before it's .NET 5.
  2. Transitioning my mobile apps which use Xamarin.iOS and Xamarin.Android to Xamarin Forms (complete rewrite)
  3. Using .NET Core / WPF / MVVM (with DevExpress) to my long overdue rewrite of a VB6 Desktop app
  4. Moving my AbleCommerce store to nopCommerce

@JohnH - It's ok to be unmotivated, and not know what to do with yourself at times. To be honest, I get like that every summer. Lol! I can not function for the life of me in this hot heat brought on by the summer season. I find the humidity unbearable. My brain just shuts down and I can't write any logic whatsoever. I call it 'summer-brain-mush' ! :LOL:

looking forward to waters warming up to start seasons outdoor swimming :)

Rolling down the windows, putting the sounds on, and taking a spin to a remote beach for a swim seems like a great idea. I normally take my holidays in the summer time from my place of employment since this hot heat makes me very unproductive anyway. Next year, I'm planning to buy a sail boat to work and live on. (Retirement). I'll be sure to head North for the cooler weather each summer.

Moving my AbleCommerce store to nopCommerce
What are you using to do that? LitExtension??? Surprised you're not porting to Prestashop. It's much more advanced. You preferring simplicity instead? I used nop a few years back, switched to Presta and never looked back. We all have our little preferences though.

Transitioning my mobile apps which use Xamarin.iOS and Xamarin.Android to Xamarin Forms (complete rewrite)
Cross platform project I assume?

As an aside. Today I am facing a horrible modeling issue. Something I admittedly have been struggling with for a week now. Without boring you, I need to develop a pattern with only partial inheritance. Redesigned 3 times. They all work, but they all break the class convention rules. So It need to be rewrote with more efficiency and care using an efficient pattern! Currently drawing it out on paper before I put it into context.

What are you using to do that? LitExtension??? Surprised you're not porting to Prestashop. It's much more advanced. You preferring simplicity instead? I used nop a few years back, switched to Presta and never looked back. We all have our little preferences though.

Never heard of Prestashop, it appears to be a PHP product. I prefer .NET ecommerce platforms. nopCommerce is done on ASP.NET Core so I can easily extend it with their source and I also learn from products such as this to improve my .NET programming.

Prestashop. Yea, its built on php but its a beautiful system, and very well assembled. I don't have a problem with php. Some aspects are very much like C# actually.

nop extensions are very pricey, and that's off-putting for me. I'd rather make my own plugins, extensions and themes. I like to support ASP products too, as you said, it helps to improve your language building.

So how is everyone's day going

Ok, now I'm working on moving a shared project and other common classes to a class library, and have "published" that to a local nuget package source. I'm thinking this is easier to maintain and update version for other projects as needed, especially since I use some projects both at home and at work in different relative folder structures.

Ok, now I'm working on moving a shared project and other common classes to a class library, and have "published" that to a local nuget package source. I'm thinking this is easier to maintain and update version for other projects as needed, especially since I use some projects both at home and at work in different relative folder structures.

Yeah, nuget is certainly the hot topic these days. Are they replacing project refs? Interesting thought.

How are people managing their own nugets? I personally created a nuget server and that's how I do it. Is there an easier way of handling private nugets?

For my starter trails I just used a local folder, I could have used a network share also, but didn't have the need to share with others in same network. I will later look at remotely hosted private nugets, this article I came across offer some suggestions: Overview of Hosting Your Own NuGet Feeds

Local feeds - interesting. I'd rather have the project in the solution as it's easier to maintain, to me, compile, tweak, whatever. But something that rarely changes, I have in my nuget server I host. Mainly what's in here are 3rd party source products I own, may have tweaked and compiled for my business, and in another case it's a theme for my DevExpress web project.

I'm actually doing the same thing myself today. Actually I've been ripping classes that i use often from other apps and making them into DLL libs so that I can use them later in other projects as a simple DLL. I was also about to ask about the Nuget submission process since I am also about to do the same thing. I was curious about hosting my own Nuget since I have the servers to do so. Thanks for the link on #9. I'll give it a spin later.

I'd rather have the project in the solution as it's easier to maintain, to me, compile, tweak, whatever
That's why I have used a shared project so far, but now I was thinking to expand both the library and its usage and needed better versioning and deployment. Anyway, this is just a private experiment for me, and getting some more knowledge to go.

For now, I'm working on a Database Management System....But I have trouble in Reports.

Back
Top Bottom