What's latest .NET FRAMEWORK and VISUAL STUDIO EXPRESS that works with XP sp 2 ???

Valhalla

Programming Experience
10+
I want to get Visual Studio Express and a newer version of the .net framework downloaded and installed. What is the newest version of both that will work with XP SP2???? I have the full Visual Studio 2003 and 1.1 framework now.

Thank you!

Visual Studio Express C# and XP SP 3!!!!!

Download | Microsoft Visual Studio 2012

.NET 4.5 and VS 2012 require at least Windows Vista. .NET 4.0 and VS 2010 will run on XP.

Thanks again for your response J (Jim?). I downloaded the 4.0 framework without a glitch but VS Express C# won't install without installing XP service pack 3. You would think that would be an easy straight forward process. But no.... I could not find a direct download of SP 3 and all the microsoft sites were saying the best and easiest way is to enable automatic updates. Against my better judgement I did that and it took about 2 hours to download and install all these updates with nothing referencing or mentioning SP 3. When it finished Device manager still said service pack 2. Of course C# still would not install and said I need SP 3. Arrrrrgggggggg! Do you have to install every single update in the list auto update displayed, like for media player and the malicious software remover in order for it to say SP 3?

Please advise. The only thing I found for a download of SP 3 was a network download and install, saying specifically if you are installing on only one computer to go somewhere else. Clicking that link just set up a circular link reference and got me no where.

Thank you!

Valhalla

You really should have applied all those updates as they were released. To not do so is, to be frank, irresponsible. It's a long time since I used XP and even longer without SP3 but, if I remember correctly, if you use the Custom option rather then Express then it will find SP3. That's because SP3 is never installed automatically, so it's an optional download. If that doesn't work then I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use that direct download.

You really should have applied all those updates as they were released. To not do so is, to be frank, irresponsible. It's a long time since I used XP and even longer without SP3 but, if I remember correctly, if you use the Custom option rather then Express then it will find SP3. That's because SP3 is never installed automatically, so it's an optional download. If that doesn't work then I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use that direct download.

I did use the custom option and I unchecked the media type updates and the extra tools etc. There was not any reference to or mention of SP 3. I will try the direct download and see what happens.... I'll let you know.

Thanks!

Valhalla

Back
Top Bottom