Where are runtime settings?

IanBr

Programming Experience
10+
In the ide I can open, change, save default settings in the solution explorer but I can't see the settings saved by the program (Windows Forms app) when run from the ide. Where are they?
I create a setting (in Properties.Settings.Default) via the ide, then run the application and it changes that setting and saves the updated value, then I again look at the settings via the ide but all I see are the originally created values not the updated ones. The values are definitely being updated by the app because if I again run the app and get it to display the value without changing it I see the updated one.
I can only conclude that when it runs the app is using a different settings file (which somehow gets created from the ide version), it's pretty weird and I certainly don't understand it.
Can someone explain for me?
Many thanks.

It pays to read the documentation:

Application-scoped settings and the default user-scoped settings are stored in a file named application.exe.config, which is created in the same directory as the executable file. Application configuration settings are read-only. Specific user data is stored in a file named user.config, stored under the user's home directory. If roaming profiles are enabled, two versions of the user configuration file could exist. In such a case, the entries in the roaming version take precedence over duplicated entries in the local user configuration file.

Back
Top Bottom