Xml has invalid charecters

inkedGFX

Programming Experience
Beginner
I would like to know how to close xml tags if an error occurs.

I use a try catch block in a method to write a xml file, the method tries to write data to xml , if an error occurs a error text file is written with the error but the remaining tags are not written..and leaves unclosed tags , is there a way to close the remaining tags?

Thank You

InkedGFX

Post an example of how you write (and try-catch) - there are numerous ways to write an xml file.

thank you for your reply.

I know the error is not from the writing of the xml...let me try to explain what I am doing.

I am scraping a website of cars for sale...there are about 20,000 listings of classic cars for sale on this website...my code goes to each page and gets a set of attributes for each car listing.
for example:

each listing has
title
sale price
dealer
year
make
model

there are over 35 different attributes for each car....everything works until the code reaches a description with invalid charecters in it, I do not know what the invalid charecters are. I look at the listing where the error occurs and I cannot see a invalid character in the description text.....when the code breaks on this error it writes the error to a error txt file I create...then it continues to the next listing, but it does not close the xml tags , so when it tries to write the next listing it throws another error....and so on and so on....is there a way if or when it gets an invalid character error to close the xml tags?

thank you
InkedGFX

The error is in the writing of the xml. If it was not, you would not have exceptions :) The cause might however be somewhere else. As asked, show the code. In the catch or finally, you probably have to add the closing tags.

With regards to a possible cause of the error. If you use something like below, you might get the exception when the text that you try to write contains non-ascii characters.
                XmlWriterSettings settings = new XmlWriterSettings();
                settings.OmitXmlDeclaration = true;
                settings.Encoding = Encoding.ASCII;
                //settings.Encoding = Encoding.Unicode;

using (XmlWriter xmlWriter = XmlWriter.Create(strFileName, settings))
                {
                }

I had the issue with the coding; the line in above snippet that is commented out solved it. In my case, the 'using' was embedded in a try/catch and the xml file was empty (or corrupted, can't remember).

So for some useful help, post the relevant part of your code.

Back
Top Bottom