Question Can I create my own UI project for Identity pages?

gustavofn-kula

Programming Experience
5-10
First of all, this is more like an architecture and management question, I'm building a SSO Server with Microsoft Identity + OpenIdDict, but I wanted to create a separated react/nextjs front end for the SSO, since all our front end projects and code are in nextjs, making it easier for the team to manage the SSO UI.

Is it a great choice? Or due to security protocols should I really stick with the MVC front end?

I'm expecting some guidance to understand if I'm going to face security and architecture bad practices and what should I be concerned with.

The OpenID security protocols themselves are UI agnostic, other than needing some kind of web based UI interaction for the more common authentication/authorization flows. (There are other flows which can skip using an interactive UI as I recall.)

What makes you think that you need to stick with an MVC front end? Is is because the demo or how-to code happened to be MVC based?

Personally, the main thing I would be concerned about if I deviated from something that was running on the server to something that was running on the client would be can I guarantee the security on the client? What is to prevent malware sitting on the user's machine from harvesting any sensitive authentication data or auth tokens?

I was thinking about sticking since I didn't found any demos or samples otherwise, leading me to think it was a bad choice.
But I would only do a different front end to handle Indentity scaffold pages, wouldn't migrate any logic or service.

As I recall, React is also uses the MVC pattern, just a different implementation of the pattern. I assume that you specifically mean ASP.NET MVC that you are planning on sticking with.

You might choose to leverage the custom options MS offer for making the auth flow UI look like your own brand instead; it's easier, and really quite "set and forget"

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom