Connecting to remote mysql VS2022

SteveWin

Programming Experience
1-3
Hi All,

I'm fairly new to C# and Winforms development. I have successfully set up my app Winform application which uses an instance of MySQL running on a dedicated box on my LAN. I am using the Mysql.Data Nuget. It all works fine.

Here is my question.

What I want to do is access a mysql database on my hosted account (Dreamhost). However, Dreamhost insist on using SSH tunneling. There is no problem accessing it via Workbench since it has SSH access built in but does anyone know the best (and simplest) way of doing it in VS2022 using the MySQL.Data nuget (or another nuget package if necessary). Alternatively, can anyone recommend a host for MySQL that doesn't require SSH?

Grateful for any help or advice.

Exposing any database naked to the Internet is an invitation to have your data hacked. You're databases should stay nicely behind a firewall and the only thing exposed out the Internet should be web services which performs specific operations on the database with the least privileges needed for those operations.

But it's your data, if you think the convenience is worth the risk, have at it:

None of these are any use (it was about accessing hosted MySQL through SSH tunneling) but thanks for trying. It was just test data for demo so security is no big deal at the moment.

Basically most of the solutions you'll find will require you to use some kind of SSH library. You'll connect to SSH using that library, and then tell the library to do port forwarding. Once the port forwarding has been established, you would connect to localhost:3306.

Back
Top Bottom