Control Set for Dock.Fill doesn't fill in run mode

JonJacobs

Programming Experience
10+
I have a simple form (not main form) with a WebBrowser control and a StatusStrip. The WebBrowser Dock property is set to Fill. In design mode the WebBrowser behaves as expected and expands/shrinks with the form, stopping at the StatusStrip which simply travels with the bottom of the form (and varies in width with the width of the form. In run mode, the StatusStrip still behaves as expected, but the WebBrowser does not increase in height with the form, leaving bare form exposed. What is going on? How do I fix it?

This sample works with dock fill for me:
C#:
var form = new Form();
var browser = new WebBrowser
{
    Dock = DockStyle.Fill,
    DocumentText = "<body style='border=1px solid red'>sample</body>"
};
var status = new StatusStrip();
status.Items.Add(new ToolStripStatusLabel("status"));
form.Controls.Add(browser);
form.Controls.Add(status);
form.Show();

Thank you, @JohnH, That essentially is what happens in the Designer.cs generated from using the Form design tools, but I will try out your sample code and see if that makes a difference.
Jon

As vaguely recall, there are some nuances in the order that controls are added into the container and how that impacts docking and filling. Or I might be thinking of the table layout control... It's been a while.

In general, for new development, you'll want to skip WinForms and use some other UI framework. WinForms is on life support. MS already pull the plug on it once when they started .NET Core, but there was enough industry outcry to force MS to put it back into .NET Core 3.1 but with no new development commitments except for security maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom