Resolved currency converter

AndrewShev05

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi. I was given a project for school and I am lost. Don't know how to and where to start. I will attach the file. any guidance will be much appreciated. I got the form up, removed minimize maximize buttons. Got it to the center when run But I don't know how to start with the code.

Attachments

• 330_C#Programming_R_2022.pdf
    401 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
The requirements in the document are in pretty much a logical order for how to build the app from the UI down to the logic. Just keep following the steps one step at a time. Remember that programming is about breaking down big problems into smaller problems, and then solving the smaller problems. Don't feel overwhelmed. As I said the document has already laid out the steps and also broke down problem into smaller problems.

Post your specific question(s) when you get stuck.

The requirements in the document are in pretty much a logical order for how to build the app from the UI down to the logic. Just keep following the steps one step at a time. Remember that programming is about breaking down big problems into smaller problems, and then solving the smaller problems. Don't feel overwhelmed. As I said the document has already laid out the steps and also broke down problem into smaller problems.

I got all of the design down. How do I write the code to convert from dollar amount to the other currency? I am really new. Honestly don't know how to start. I think it should be an "if" statment?

i am tring to get when the convert button is clicked for the entered amount is calculated. I got "if (btnconvert."- I don't know what to call next

6.d (if the “Dollars” radio button is selected, get the amount in txtDollars)
if (rdoDollars.Checked)

How do I write the code to convert from dollar amount to the other currency?
You should put some thought into the problem before trying to write code. Code is not the solution. Code is an implementation of the solution. If you had to convert a dollar amount to another currency WITHOUT code, how would you do it? You'd multiply the amount by the conversion rate, wouldn't you? That should be obvious and doesn't take any programming experience at all. Are you really saying that you need help writing code to multiply two numbers together?

This is an example of what Skydiver was talking about earlier. Break the problem down and solve it step by step. Going from a vague idea directly to code is the antithesis of that. You need to work out what the code has to do first and that part doesn't take any programming experience. Once you know what the code has to do - not just the result but the steps to get there - then you can actually write code to do it. If the code doesn't produce the expected results, you can compare each line of code to the step in your algorithm it is supposed to be implementing to see whether they match. If you need help from us, you can show us the code and the algorithm and tell us exactly where they don't match up.

You should put some thought into the problem before trying to write code. Code is not the solution. Code is an implementation of the solution. If you had to convert a dollar amount to another currency WITHOUT code, how would you do it? You'd multiply the amount by the conversion rate, wouldn't you? That should be obvious and doesn't take any programming experience at all. Are you really saying that you need help writing code to multiply two numbers together?

This is an example of what Skydiver was talking about earlier. Break the problem down and solve it step by step. Going from a vague idea directly to code is the antithesis of that. You need to work out what the code has to do first and that part doesn't take any programming experience. Once you know what the code has to do - not just the result but the steps to get there - then you can actually write code to do it. If the code doesn't produce the expected results, you can compare each line of code to the step in your algorithm it is supposed to be implementing to see whether they match. If you need help from us, you can show us the code and the algorithm and tell us exactly where they don't match up.
Thank you. Like I said. I am so new to programming that I don't even know the process. Seems ironic. why would my school give me something that I do not know squat about, with no help? I will do what I learned from you, and get back if I get stuck. Thank you again.

Based on your other thread, it looks like they gave you the problem set also setup the same way where the problem has pretty much been broken down for you. I think it's worth a conversation with your teacher or your school's dean to talk about the teaching methodology at the school.

Most good intro to programming classes will teach this basic approach of taking a big problem and breaking it down, coming up with an outline for how to solve a small problem, translating the outline into code, testing the small bit of code, and then moving on to the next small problem, and eventually integrating all the small solutions.

Back
Top Bottom