Resolved How To Override The Runtime System.dll Namespace?

Dalski

Programming Experience
Beginner
I'm trying to understand inheritance fully Inheritance - C# Programming Guide but it'd be better if I could put the object class in the actual tutorial. I want to fully absorb it by stepping through the code & see the Object class working. The tutorial only has the derived classes WorkItem & ChangeRequest & their members. It'd be so much better if I could see the object class working as I step-through.

1 - Is it possible to find the source code of the object class? I found the System.dll in virtual studio, but this looks to be object code, already compiled (I think I'm correct in this statement?).

2 - If I was to complete 1, would I then run into naming conflicts or would C# prioritize local declarations over namespaced ones?

in my defence there has been some contradictory info in this thread. I've referenced the links given to me only to be told the links are incorrect by other users in the same thread :p & if one reads the thread there is contradictory info.
Quote the contradictory info you see?
Maybe its clarity you need.

If you are talking about the reference link and the api browser link for the docs. There is nothing contradictory there at all, the only difference is one shows you how its written under-the-hood while the other is an API to use such source.

I'm not sure where you are trying to go with this topic. Your title says : How To Override The Runtime System.dll Namespace? while your question is about inheritance. I think your comprehension is what's confusing you.

Thanks Sheepings, yes I agree my post is badly titled, thread is scattered & poorly structured so I must apologize again for that. As you ask I list the below, but I must clarify this is not with the intent to bite the hands that feed:

Post 2 - Reference Source link given.

Post 5 - I relink this Reference Source link.

Post 6 - Identical Reference Source given as in Post 2, Post 5.

Post 7 - Condemning this Reference Source.

Post 10 - Don't use the Reference Source.

Again my intention is not to insult anyone here. Yes I have been confused & panicking, my apologies again.

You asked for source code of object class and I gave it to you, and also explained that this is neither something you use in your own code or normally read about. C# and .Net exists at a higher level. You're expected to use the framework libraries as they are and read the documentation on how to use them, which I also pointed you to. Even though the source code for these libraries is open-source and available it is not expected of any .Net developer to read them, nor it is required to be able to use them or understand them. Don't mix the source code with the documentation. If you create an application or library would you expect the users to read your source code to be able to use the application or library? No way.

Thanks John, I hope I haven't upset you. In post 2 a class object api link was provided. Also provided was a link to the reference source, not a link to the class source code.

The .NET API Browser States:
Namespace: System
Assembly:
System.Runtime.dll

In the Source Reference it's not possible to decipher where this csproj came from? The Browser API indicates it should be in the System.Runtime.dll; I can't see where csproj was indicated.

Again I hope this doesn't offend. It is merely my feedback, & I please don't take my comments to heart. I can't title a thread properly! :unsure:

Please stop apologising. :)

If you don't ask, you won't learn.

Now, go back and read post 7 again and then click on the Resource link on p/#6 and read the left top corner... :rolleyes:

Yes I understand the system.dll assembly was incorrectly being referenced from the link provided. The mscorlib assembly needed to be referenced. But I cannot for the life of me see where I could've learned this from referencing the .NET API Browser.

"reference source" is the site that provides the source code for the .Net libraries. Very hard-core codes, noone quite sane read them :)

".Net API Browser - Microsoft Docs" - here is documentation and learning material for developers. This is for all levels developers, there are also learning articles and introduction topics to be found.

Yes I understand the system.dll assembly was incorrectly being referenced from the link provided. The mscorlib assembly needed to be referenced. But I cannot for the life of me see where I could've learned this from referencing the .NET API Browser.
Don't worry about that. The core runtime library is always referenced no matter project you create.

"reference source" is the site that provides the source code for the .Net libraries. Very hard-core codes, noone quite sane read them :)
I read them. Lol I guess that puts me in the insane category. But we all knew that :LOL:

If I want to know what object<T> is being returned and to see if I can improve on calculative performances by using an interface, I do check the references for that.

I don't see how any developer could stay away from them. One of my first lessons with the Raspbery Pi was disecting the etc folder and renaming system-based commands, creating alias system commands and the like.

Sshh... Don't tell Linus.

Erm if I'm being honest I did look into how memory is stored, going into the stack & the heap, then looking int assembly a little, with push, pop etc... Iteration stacks... I think I even did read up on comparisson operators assessing l-values & r-values.
Then reading up on how pdfs are stored with image maps, & how pdfs store glyphs. Trying to get to sleep but unable to sleep thinking about it, getting up in the middle of the night to read more. Reading autocad's developers document on it's filetype, the hierarchical structure of entities drawn in CAD. Don't get me wrong I'm not understanding all of it to the level you guys would, but I'm suffering of being interested in everything.
It's a disease, don't judge me :LOL:.
Ah! You're that kind of geek! Don't worry. You are in good company. I think a majority of people who are drawn into this industry naturally (rather than forced in by economics), has that innate tinkerer who has to know how stuff works. All I can recommend is have an efficient way of putting stuff on the stack as you go down one rabbit hole after another so that you can come back to what you had put on the top of your "to study" stack. For me it's more like a "heap" rather than a "stack" which makes matters worse sometimes.

So what you're saying is you rewrote the kernel? :unsure:

No not at all, we can all see that I'm no wizard, merely an enthusiast with masses of enthusiasm but lacking the brains.
One of the very first lessons on the raspberry pi official website is learning the file structure of an operating system, and involved altering the system commands; a very good lesson. If my memory serves correct it was the etc folder. I wrote it down in a book as well as I did them.

I can photograph my notes & put them up here if you think I'm telling linus :p.

I think a majority of people who are drawn into this industry naturally (rather than forced in by economics), has that innate tinkerer who has to know how stuff works.

I'd agree Skydiver, it got me from the building site into the office.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom