How to quickly read large files(.CSV 100 million lines)?

patrick

Programming Experience
1-3
Hello~~

I need your help.

- Development environment : C# Winform (VS2019), .NET Framework 4.6.1
- The csv file contains data of 100 million lines.
====> It took over an hour to read a CSV file containing data of 100 million lines(=Big Data).
====> It should not take more than an hour.

Is there any way to shorten the time?

Please reply

Last edited by a moderator:
Show us your current code for reading the CSV. I am guessing you are doing things inefficiently based on past code you have shown us for doing other things.

What are you doing with the data? Do you really need all the contents of the CSV in memory all at the same time, or do you need to act on each row of data at a time and not need that row anymore?

What version of .NET are you using? New versions support the use of spans which dramatically cut down on having to allocate memory and copy data around. These small savings multiply into huge performance gains.

Show us your current code for reading the CSV. I am guessing you are doing things inefficiently based on past code you have shown us for doing other things.

What are you doing with the data? Do you really need all the contents of the CSV in memory all at the same time, or do you need to act on each row of data at a time and not need that row anymore?

What version of .NET are you using? New versions support the use of spans which dramatically cut down on having to allocate memory and copy data around. These small savings multiply into huge performance gains.

Your Answer) Do you really need all the contents of the CSV in memory all at the same time?
===> I will draw a Chart (Graph) in C#.NET

Your Answer) do you need to act on each row of data at a time and not need that row anymore?
===> I didn't understand what it meant.

Your Answer) New versions support the use of spans which dramatically cut down on having to allocate memory and copy data around.
===> VS2019, C#.NET, Winform, I can check the .NET version on Thursday at 9am.

New versions support the use of spans which dramatically cut down on having to allocate memory and copy data around.
===> Please teach me. Please...

Do you really need all the contents of the CSV in memory all at the same time?
===> I will draw a Chart (Graph) in C#.NET
You need just a row from the CSV just long enough to add the point into the chart and then discard the row.

You still have not shown us your code.

Last edited by a moderator:
Show us your code. How are you loading data into DevExpress Chart?

Last edited:
You still haven't shared your code for reading the CSV file data into a chart. I have a suspicion that you are using an inefficient way of loading in the data into your chart.

Back
Top Bottom