I need a c# mentor

Daviddavid

Programming Experience
Beginner
I am really trying to learn c# from Codecademy and I want to start building mobile apps with it. I have gotten to some stage where I understand some things but I really do need a mentor I can always talk to when I have a problem. At the moment, I don’t know what next to do from Codecademy tutorials, so I need a mentor to put me through, I’m still blank. we can always talk through WhatsApp for easy access or any platform you suggest that sends notifications easily to one’s phone.

My understanding is that Code academy will be offering mobile development soon.

The is a difference between learning a language, and learning the environment in which that language works in.

(Rant: Also don't be fooled by people saying that: "Oh you know Java or C#? Then you know the other language because they are so similar. Yes, the languages maybe close to each other, but the environments that they live in are different. My company hired a large group of Java programmers who successfully feigned C# knowledge. These same developers are completely baffled when they ask me to just add a certificate to the JVM or change the garbage collection algorithm and I tell them that I can't do that for a .NET application. If you are going to fake it, you better fake it with a Presidential Sharpie marker. They also don't seem to know the basics of how Windows path searching works, nor that Windows filenames are not case sensitive.)

Last edited:
Hi David, I'm in a pretty similar position. I attacked C++ first on Learn C++ which was excellent, then went to C# Tutorials - Get Started for C# which was not as good as the former whilst also having a reference to microsoft's website. I found Microsoft's website pretty tough going, & not a good place to grasp the basics. I'm now learning wpf from youTube Angel Six's channel. This seems to be the best resource for WPF as MSDn's site examples are only half a dozen or so; which I've completed but are nowhere near enough so this forced my hand to youTube. I am looking into books now for WPF as youTube is slow-going.

I come here for early input. This helps me choose the next path to go down. I'm not keen on courses myself as I've not been impressed by them as education is a business & the courses are always dragged-out & inefficient in my opinion (but this is just my opinion here). My humble opinion is to google what known options are out there, then ask a question here on that particular topic & you're kind of heading down a decent route then. Saying that another forum did give me some pretty terrible input, which cost me a month full-time but that was not this forum. I've had great input here as there's a few helpful chaps who really know their stuff.

This is the advice of an absolute novice; so take it with a pinch of salt.

Last edited:
Hi David, I'm in a pretty similar position. I attacked C++ first on Learn C++ which was excellent, then went to C# Tutorials - Get Started for C# which was not as good as the former whilst also having a reference to microsoft's website. I found Microsoft's website pretty tough going, & not a good place to grasp the basics. I'm now learning wpf from youTube Angel Six's channel. This seems to be the best resource for WPF as MSDn's site examples are only half a dozen or so; which I've completed but are nowhere near enough so this forced my hand to youTube. I am looking into books now for WPF as youTube is slow-going.

I come here for early input. This helps me choose the next path to go down. I'm not keen on courses myself as I've not been impressed by them as education is a business & the courses are always dragged-out & inefficient in my opinion (but this is just my opinion here). My humble opinion is to google what known options are out there, then ask a question here on that particular topic & you're kind of heading down a decent route then. Saying that another forum did give me some pretty terrible input, which cost me a month full-time but that was not this forum. I've had great input here as there's a few helpful chaps who really know their stuff.

This is the advice of an absolute novice; so take it with a pinch of salt.
Thank you so much for this

My understanding is that Code academy will be offering mobile development soon.

The is a difference between learning a language, and learning the environment in which that language works in.

(Rant: Also don't be fooled by people saying that: "Oh you know Java or C#? Then you know the other language because they are so similar. Yes, the languages maybe close to each other, but the environments that they live in are different. My company hired a large group of Java programmers who successfully feigned C# knowledge. These same developers are completely baffled when they ask me to just add a certificate to the JVM or change the garbage collection algorithm and I tell them that I can't do that for a .NET application. If you are going to fake it, you better fake it with a Presidential Sharpie marker. They also don't seem to know the basics of how Windows path searching works, nor that Windows filenames are not case sensitive.)
I have gone through all your posts and I’m so interested in talking more with you. You have the knowledge I desire. I have this friend who has a mentor and that makes him move really faster.

No worries sir, glad it was helpful. Since posting I bit the bullet & bought a book "Pro C# 7 With >NET and .NET Core" by Andrew Troelsen & Phillip Japikse. I wish I did this several months ago, my learning would've been accelerated. Others here advised me EXACTLY to buy a book & they were completely right.

It's far more structured than the websites & youTube. A far deeper explanation is there (if desired). I'm now really angry with myself for being a skinflint & not doing this sooner. I think there may even be some free pdfs of these books on the net but I've purchased them because we must feed the authors for their good work :).
So I'm browsing this book atm & I've just bought a WPF book (Apress publisher like the above) which I will read after I've touched up on certain areas of C# that I'm not 100% sure on. The different types of constructors for example & LINQ.

No worries sir, glad it was helpful. Since posting I bit the bullet & bought a book "Pro C# 7 With >NET and .NET Core" by Andrew Troelsen & Phillip Japikse. I wish I did this several months ago, my learning would've been accelerated. Others here advised me EXACTLY to buy a book & they were completely right.

It's far more structured than the websites & youTube. A far deeper explanation is there (if desired). I'm now really angry with myself for being a skinflint & not doing this sooner. I think there may even be some free pdfs of these books on the net but I've purchased them because we must feed the authors for their good work :).
So I'm browsing this book atm & I've just bought a WPF book (Apress publisher like the above) which I will read after I've touched up on certain areas of C# that I'm not 100% sure on. The different types of constructors for example & LINQ.
Wow wow wow...
Could you please help me with the book, if that would be okay by you pls.
I would so much be grateful and can you give me a way to always reach you easily when I get stocked.

Back
Top Bottom