IDE: Which do you recommend?

furor

Programming Experience
3-5
Hi guys

I am new to this forum. I have already googled and did a search on this forum, and cannot find a good comparison.

Currently I am using Professional Visual Studio 2010 for C# WinForms development and am considering the following.

1. VS 2013
  2. DevExpress DXperience
  3. WinDev
  4. Others (please recommend)

Can you give me your opinion on the above taking into consideration that I am both a C# and PHP developer, and I will also like to convert my C# desktop software into web/mobile platform within the next 1-2 years.

You just can't beat Visual Studio as an IDE. For .NET development it is basically a no-brainer. Because VS is extensible, it's possible to use it for development in any language. I've never used it but there's an extension for PHP development:

PHP Tools for Visual Studio extension

I'm not sure that it's the only option either.

You just can't beat Visual Studio as an IDE. For .NET development it is basically a no-brainer. Because VS is extensible, it's possible to use it for development in any language. I've never used it but there's an extension for PHP development:

PHP Tools for Visual Studio extension

I'm not sure that it's the only option either.

I have to agree with jmcilhinney,
I have been working in VS for the past 2 years...I started with VS...I have also tried Code Blocks...which I don't care for...and have played around with Netbeans and Eclipce for some Java development and Android development....but VS is the best in my opinion.

-InkedGFX

I agreed with both of you fully.

Do you think I ought to wait for the upcoming VS 14, but I am unsure if it allows projects to be upgraded/converted from VS 2010

I agreed with both of you fully.

Do you think I ought to wait for the upcoming VS 14, but I am unsure if it allows projects to be upgraded/converted from VS 2010

There's no doubt that the next version of VS will be able to upgrade projects created in VS 2010. In fact, it will be able to upgrade projects that were created in every version of VS back to the very first VS.NET 2002. The question is whether it will be able to round-trip them. VS 2010 and earlier could open projects created in any earlier version of VS.NET but it had to upgrade them, which meant modifying them such that they could no longer be opened in that earlier version. VS 2012 bucked that trend by being able to open old projects without upgrading them, but only if they were created in VS 2010. Anything older still had to be upgraded. VS 2013 could round-trip projects created in VS 2010 and VS 2012. I suspect that the next version will round-trip projects from VS 2010, 2012 and 2013.

As for whether you should wait, you could always use VS 2013 Express in the mean time, if it can do what you need, to avoid paying now and again to upgrade.

Furor,

Being a raw beginner myself, I agree with everyone who has posted here, Visual Studio is the IDE to use. All the books or tutorials I have come across as teaching resources/AIDS all use Visual Studio as their IDE.
Go for it, you cant go wrong!!!

Back
Top Bottom