Run my apps with shortcut blocked

Jon Jacobs

Programming Experience
10+
I created some applications with VS 2018 Express on my Win 8.1 machine. I can run them just fine from VS. I can run them just fine in the folder containing the .exe. But if I try to run them via shortcut, I get a message that file execution is blocked by Super Shield. Why is that? What's the difference? What can I do about it?
Thanks,

What is Super Shield? What is it's purpose?

Windows Defender is what comes with Win 8.1.

Windows Defender is what comes with Win 8.1.
You're right. I checked further. (I was always on my work computer until I retired a few days ago, so I'm having to re-acquaint myself with my personal computer, working with applications I wrote for my own use instead of the company's) So, having checked I learned Super Shield is from PC Matic, which I had installed a few years ago and forgot about. That's where I'll need to check. It's not some weird artifact of a VS application. Sorry to have bothered you guys.

From my readings of the supposed killer feature of PC Matic's Super Shield is that it is a whitelist based anti-virus. There is a very high probability that your program is not in their whitelist. I feel thought that their anti-virus protection isn't very effective if you can run your program from Visual Studio, and by browsing to the folder that has your program, and the only time their protection kicks in is if you try to run your program via a shortcut.

Yep, it seems that way to me, also. I posted a ticket with them, and hopefully they will explain the difference to me.
Thanks to the PC Matic ticket response, I know to set protection level to prompt. Then when prompted the first time, I select "always allow" Problem solved. I think I know the difference from executing in folder or under VS rather than via shortcut. Via shortcut could seem to the Super Shield to be an automated launch, whereas the others are obvious deliberate choices by the user.

I created some applications with VS 2018 Express
I suspect that you actually mean VS 2008. There was no VS 2018 - they went from 2017 to 2019 - and I don't think that there has been an Expressed edition of VS for a while, with the Community edition being free and having almost all the features of the Professional edition.

I suspect that you actually mean VS 2008. There was no VS 2018 - they went from 2017 to 2019 - and I don't think that there has been an Expressed edition of VS for a while, with the Community edition being free and having almost all the features of the Professional edition.
Actually 2012. Sorry for the mistake.

Can't. 2022 is not compatible with win8.1
Also I cannot get winforms templates with it, even though others can. So I deleted it and tried 2012 to get the winforms templates. I will see about upgrading to 2013 Express and see if I can keep my winforms templates. When I was still working, at work, with VS2019 pro, I could not get winforms templates no matter what. Fortunately I built in to my existing apps the ability to replicate a template app with built in forms to work from. But now, on my personal computer, I don't have that built in replication that I put into my work apps. I have to build from scratch.

Back
Top Bottom