Run my apps with shortcut blocked

Jon Jacobs

Programming Experience
10+
I created some applications with VS 2018 Express on my Win 8.1 machine. I can run them just fine from VS. I can run them just fine in the folder containing the .exe. But if I try to run them via shortcut, I get a message that file execution is blocked by Super Shield. Why is that? What's the difference? What can I do about it?
Thanks,

Except that the strings attached were unacceptable: ownership of all my data.
Can you provide more info on this? I don't recall that debate/fiasco that you were referring to.

The only think I can think of that tangentially touches on "owning data" that I could think of was that file permissions changed in some of the protected special folders like "Program Files" to be even stricter Vista or Win7. If your data lived there due to a legacy WinXP or older era program, then you would get access denied errors. Sometimes running elevated was not enough -- needed to actually log on as the admin.

I'm open to hearing more about the data ownership fiasco.

(Full disclosure: I left the Evil Empire a little before Win8 released. Win8 was a dumpster fire, so I wasn't surprised when 8.1 came out very quickly afterwards. All that time though, I was not keeping a close eye on OS news as much.)

It was some years ago, when win10 was new. I didn't keep links, but my co-workers were aware of the issue too. We were surprised when the company adopted win10, but that had to mean MS had dropped the policy, or HIPPA rules would have prevented it. I had read several online articles from tech publications, but since it was long enough ago, they probably are no longer there, even if I had kept the links. It was clearly about ownership of ALL the data, not just in Program Files. MS certainly got pushback from the policy at the time.

Hope this lets you move up to Win10 at reasonable price without accidentally getting malware:

It was some years ago, when win10 was new. I didn't keep links, but my co-workers were aware of the issue too. We were surprised when the company adopted win10, but that had to mean MS had dropped the policy, or HIPPA rules would have prevented it. I had read several online articles from tech publications, but since it was long enough ago, they probably are no longer there, even if I had kept the links. It was clearly about ownership of ALL the data, not just in Program Files. MS certainly got pushback from the policy at the time.
I suspect that you got taken in by propaganda. The issues with Windows 10 were quite overblown in many cases. I'm not aware that Microsoft ever tried to or even wanted to own users' personal data. They were collecting telemetry and many people were up in arms about that and it did get exaggerated in many places, so I wonder whether what you're talking about was a case of that.

I suspect that you got taken in by propaganda. The issues with Windows 10 were quite overblown in many cases. I'm not aware that Microsoft ever tried to or even wanted to own users' personal data. They were collecting telemetry and many people were up in arms about that and it did get exaggerated in many places, so I wonder whether what you're talking about was a case of that.
Hmm. Could be. However, the info came from several well respected tech journals, or I would have given it little credence. Still, even the "well respected" can have an agenda. So I will consider it possible that it was exaggerated, just as you said.

Win8 was a dumpster fire
Microsoft have seesawed between an amazing OS version and a carp one for as long as I can remember. I always felt it was because they put their great ideas into a half baked one that is ill received and then by the next version they'd sorted them out so they worked and the world has adjusted to be ready for them

2000, (Me), XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10..

I haven't tried 11 yet to see if it's another half baked

Last edited:
I was sure I'd posted to observe it possible to buy a windows 10 key for about $20, can't find it now.. Ey well, it's there in that article SD posted, but even at full retail price it's still a bargain compared to putting up with old dev tools.. I develop for a living. If I built houses I would definitely spend $100 on a cordless drill rather than use some old worn out manual screwdriver

>half baked...
I have observed the same thing. IF I find an inexpensive to upgrade to win10 and it works, (thank you for the links @cjard. I will check those out) I may HAVE to do the upgrade at some point. There was an OS upgrade I performed years ago, where it trashed ALL my data. Now I am very paranoid it could happen again. So first I will have to back up everything. Another BIG cost is if I lose my MS Office, which was included in my original purchase of the laptop.

Back
Top Bottom