Question Serial Communication - Device name instead of COM number

Wrobb

Programming Experience
1-3
We try to create a personal controller by using a arduino. So we have to use the COM port. Up to now we have to name manually. That sucks. Is there a way to use the device name or similar instead of the COM number?

How is this a C# question?

Yes, but isn't com port assignment an OS level thing, not a programming language thing?

Wouldn't that depend how you intend to interface with the device? I can use any language i want to interface with Arduino boards. It's worth noting that the OP may be trying to build an interface in C# to communicate with the UNO board. Or they may also be trying to use a C# interface and send instructions to write new c code/instructions to the UNO device from a C# app by using a com port. Technically this wouldn't require a com port at all... And commonly, most devs use a device such as a Pic3 controller to achieve this, but the OP claims :
We try to create a personal controller by using a arduino.
If the later is correct, it makes this a valid question for the board, unless stated otherwise. To answer this question, we will need more details on the project.

As someone who writes these boards everyday, I am curious why you are required to use a com number and use a com port instead of using USB? I assume based on the fact that you are complaining about com numbers, you may be using a usb serial adapter? Otherwise how else can you be using a com number when UNO devices ship with USB cables as standard. Why not just connect over USB?

You really need to explain what you are doing, and It would be helpful to provide screenshots if possible along with an elaborate explanation on what you are trying to achieve in the process...

Back
Top Bottom