SSIS Job failing when accessing DB connection parameter

pnbalaji1974

Programming Experience
10+
I have a SSIS package that is trying to load the information from a csv file into a SQL Server table. The DB Connection is defined as an ADO.NET connection and I have parameterized the connection string. See the screenshots below.

connmgr.jpg

expressionbuilder.jpg

dbconnection.jpg

dbconnproperties.jpg

Below is the code snippet that I am using to establish the DB connection in the C# script task.

C#:
SqlConnection myADONETConnection = new SqlConnection();
myADONETConnection = (SqlConnection)(Dts.Connections["$Package::SAMDBConnection"].AcquireConnection(Dts.Transaction) as SqlConnection);

The code and the entire project builds without any problems. However, when I run the package, I am getting the below error message.

C#:
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): A network-related or instance-specific error
occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not
accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to
allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating
Server/Instance Specified)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity,
SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, SqlCredential credential, Object providerInfo, String
newPassword, SecureString newSecurePassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance,
SqlConnectionString userConnectionOptions, SessionData reconnectSessionData, DbConnectionPool
pool, String accessToken, Boolean applyTransientFaultHandling,
SqlAuthenticationProviderManager sqlAuthProviderManager)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options,
DbConnectionPoolKey poolKey, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection
owningConnection, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreatePooledConnection(DbConnectionPool pool,
DbConnection owningObject, DbConnectionOptions options, DbConnectionPoolKey poolKey,
DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateObject(DbConnection owningObject,
DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal oldConnection)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCreateRequest(DbConnection owningObject,
DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal oldConnection)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningObject,
UInt32 waitForMultipleObjectsTimeout, Boolean allowCreate, Boolean onlyOneCheckConnection,
DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal& connection)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningObject,
TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal&
connection)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.TryGetConnection(DbConnection
owningConnection, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions,
DbConnectionInternal oldConnection, DbConnectionInternal& connection)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionInternal.TryOpenConnectionInternal(DbConnection
outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry,
DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.TryOpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection,
DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions
userOptions)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.TryOpenInner(TaskCompletionSource`1 retry)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.TryOpen(TaskCompletionSource`1 retry)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()
at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Runtime.ManagedHelper.GetManagedConnection(String
assemblyQualifiedName, String connStr, Object transaction)
at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Runtime.ConnectionManager.AcquireConnection(Object txn)
at ST_1d4a35a96e484ef884dbd7beb30de13d.ScriptMain.Main()
ClientConnectionId:00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
Error Number:-1,State:0,Class:20

Can someone help? When I double click the SAMDBConnection connection manager in the package and click on "Test Connection" button, I am getting the same error message. If I don't use parameterization, the connection is successful and it connects to the hard coded DB without any issues. However, that is not an option since I need to deploy the job into multiple SSIS servers (Dev, QA and PROD) and I need to parameterize the connection parameters. I will be using Microsoft Azure TFS build and release pipelines to build and deploy the package into multiple SSIS servers. I need to supply the DB connection parameters as part of the release definition for this job.
One change I am noticing is that I am accessing the other variables using the statement Dts.Variables["$Package:FileDelimiter"].Value and in this case I am accessing it as Dts.Connections["$Package::SAMDBConnection"].AcquireConnection and I am not sure if this is correct.

Sorry for the long post. I am a Salesforce person and SSIS is not my cup of tea.

Please help.

Last edited by a moderator:
It appears that the credentials are not getting passed in, or the network protocol to access the server might not be accepting the connection from a remote call, whereas running it yourself may be using elevated permissions based on your personal account. Make sure the parameters are being included to allow the DTSExec to run the code, not just the person who wrote it.

Back
Top Bottom