Resolved Unreal Engine For My Framework?

Dalski

Programming Experience
Beginner
In another forum I received conflicting advice about using C++ & pre-built UI's like Qt or xlWidgets. Had to ditch C++ because I found the GUI a bit slow-going so have switched to C#.

I'm in the process of making my own "cad-like" software (don't worry I'm not expecting to conquer AutoCad). The actual maths I need to do is very simple. But it may be best to use the unreal game engine to save me worrying about all the rendering; saves me coding my own WPF type UI.

Do you think it would be easier to create in the unreal engine? Creating tools like measuring lengths, mesh volumes etc...?

EDIT - Need to display pdfs, which a pdf library coding into wpf is concerning me a bit, but that may be a dealbreaker for the Unreal engine/ Unity.

Last edited:
Do you think it would be easier to create in the unreal engine? Creating tools like measuring lengths, mesh volumes etc...?
Keep in mind, Unity is a game development application. It's not specifically for making 3d applications. Frankly I don't see how you could not do this in WPF while using one of the already available 3d libraries. Like SharpDX.Direct3D9 and SharpDX.Mathematics for calculations.

Frankly, I only use Unity for game development, and not as a 3D component for modelling. Down the line, you will likely regret your approach and wish you done this in WPF/DirectX. I'd recommend you start looking at available 3D libraries for C#.

Back
Top Bottom