Question C# good for my project? Why?

cart_man

Programming Experience
1-3
Hi there

I am tasked in writing a file manager program that will be hosted on a server and accessed by a browser.
So my question is if C# would be the ideal too for this project. More precisely what it should do will be listed here.

1. Run as a console server on the Server machine.
2. Serves websites to clients who connect to it.
3. Have a concurrent connection with client.
4. Transfer files back and forth from the client. (Preferably dropped onto the browser from the desktop).

Thanks.
Cart

Also why can I not use C# as a tag?

1. Run as a console server on the Server machine.
I don't really know what that means. If you create a Console application then it will only run when you tell it to so remote clients connecting is not really practical. You could create a Windows service, which will be running all the time and can accept connections any time or you could create a web service.
2. Serves websites to clients who connect to it.
Really? That's not a file manager then. That's a web server. I think you might need to clarify your requirements a bit there.
3. Have a concurrent connection with client.
4. Transfer files back and forth from the client. (Preferably dropped onto the browser from the desktop).
No issues there. I would imagine that C# would work fine for what you need to do but some of your requirements really are unclear.
Also why can I not use C# as a tag?
This entire site is dedicated to C# programming so what use would it be to indicate that a particular thread relates to C#? If your thread doesn't relate to C# then it shouldn't be here in the first place.

Ok

Hi jmcilhinney

Ok soo it sounds like C# would work.

I have created a little WebServer that serves 1 "index.html" page at the moment to anybody connecting to it.

My Question is how can I make the server and the client interact when a button is clicked. e.g. change the canvas or go to another page but keep the Connection to the server?
I have never done something like this in C#, only in NodeJS.
I just need some guidance on where to start please.

I do see why it should rather be a service.

Thanks

Just throwing an idea out here but have you looked into perhaps using asp.net or asp.net core? I am currently working my way through learning this and it sounds like this could potentially handle a lot of your service/hosting issues out of the box including the ability to change pages (routing).
There are also remade templates that you can start with to handle a majority of your setup.

Back
Top Bottom