Question Is there any issue learning C#.NET, ASP.NET and ASP.NET-MVC with .NET framework 3.5 and 4.0?

Renu

Programming Experience
Beginner
Just I want to make sure that I`m learning c#.net ,asp.net, and asp. net-MVC with .NET framework 3.5 and 4.0 So fundamentally any issue? and after learning these with .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.0, Can I work with the organization?

So just I want to make sure fundamentally any Issue learning C#.NET,ASP.NET, And ASP.NET-MVC with .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.0, and Companies are working on .NET framework 3.5 and 4.0.

Firstly, while it's obviously not a big deal, there's no such thing as C#.NET. The VB language predates the .NET platform, with VB6 being the last version that was COM-based. VB 7 and VB 7.1 were officially named VB.NET to distinguish them from VB6 and earlier. From version 8, the .NET suffix was officially dropped and the language was just called VB, starting at VB 2005. Many people still tend to use the name VB.NET though. In the case of C#, there was no history before .NET so there is no need to distinguish the current .NET-based language from anything else, so it's just called C# and has always been called just C#.

As for the rest, you certainly can learn most .NET technologies using .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.0 but you probably shouldn't if you can avoid it. The only reason I can think of that you would is if you have a very old computer and your OS won't support newer versions of .NET tools. The oldest version of .NET that is still officially supported in .NET Framework 4.6.2 and, while at least NetFx 4.8.1 will be supported for a while yet, most new work is being done against .NET Core. .NET 5 and later are based on .NET Core and even .NET 5 is no longer officially supported.

Firstly, while it's obviously not a big deal, there's no such thing as C#.NET. The VB language predates the .NET platform, with VB6 being the last version that was COM-based. VB 7 and VB 7.1 were officially named VB.NET to distinguish them from VB6 and earlier. From version 8, the .NET suffix was officially dropped and the language was just called VB, starting at VB 2005. Many people still tend to use the name VB.NET though. In the case of C#, there was no history before .NET so there is no need to distinguish the current .NET-based language from anything else, so it's just called C# and has always been called just C#.

As for the rest, you certainly can learn most .NET technologies using .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.0 but you probably shouldn't if you can avoid it. The only reason I can think of that you would is if you have a very old computer and your OS won't support newer versions of .NET tools. The oldest version of .NET that is still officially supported in .NET Framework 4.6.2 and, while at least NetFx 4.8.1 will be supported for a while yet, most new work is being done against .NET Core. .NET 5 and later are based on .NET Core and even .NET 5 is no longer officially support
It means, Fundamentally, there is no issue learning C#, ASP, and ASP.NET-MVC with .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.0. and companies still working on these. AM I RIGHT?

You will struggle making the transition from MVC for ASP.NET from those older versions to the newer versions. Even professionals who worked with the older MVC had trouble making the transition. You will be in an even worse position as a beginner trying to to make that transition. I recommend going straight to a newer version of MVC. Same goes for WebAPI which was originally based on MVC.

Also, if you are learning straight ASP.NET (without the MVC), the older teaching materials pushed WebForms heavily. Most modern web development has eschewed WebForms, and gone to using raw HTML controls, CSS, and JavaScript. I suggest skipping learning WebForms, and only learn how to use it if and if you get hired to maintain some old WebForms based code.

Companies has varying degrees of holding on to legacy code. Some will get off technologies which are obsolete or reaching end of life soon. Others will run with code as long as it works even if the technologies it is built on is out of support. You can do your own research to find the end of life dates for various MS technologies.

and companies still working on these

If they are, they shouldn't be.. I don't think anyone would be crazy enough to perform new development in these ancient technologies, though you might find some old apps being maintained in them.

I wouldn't personally recommend you learn them with an expectation of getting a job using them. If you're trying to make yourself employable, acquire experience in recent technologies

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom